Re: Global Desktop Items: A proposal

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 21:06 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

> > Another thing I worry about is if we start letting applications install
> > things on users desktop we'll soon turn into the crap that is a standard
> > windows desktop where its full of logos for various vendors. Windows
> > even had to implement some form of checker that pops up a dialog and
> > asks you if you want to delete unused launchers from the desktop.
> >

> I agree with you entirely. However, I am not proposing a global
> directory like C:\All Users\Desktop in Windows where applications can
> simply drop their launchers and clog up the Desktop. The directory
> here for the mandatory and predefined is basically defined at a per
> user (or rather, per profile - looking from the Sabayon perspective)
> level. So it becomes quite difficult for an application to put
> launchers in everyone's Desktop.
> Also, this feature can be turned off by default, with a Gconf boolean
> key to enable it if required.

That sounds much better. There are a couple of tricky things with a
setup like this though. Like, how do you syncronize the users desktop
dir and the "Template" over multiple logins. I.e. if the user deletes a
file it shouldn't appear again on the next login. But if there is a new
file in the template, maybe it should.

What sort of approaches were you considering for this?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted dishevelled househusband in a wheelchair. She's a virginal
thirtysomething research scientist looking for love in all the wrong places.
They fight crime!