Re: Error "Not on the same file system" while deleting

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 19:44 +0000, Nick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Nautilus 2.16.3 in gentoo. A problem has recently developed
> where i am unable to delete a file on a nfs mounted filesystem. I have
> four nfs shares which this machine uses. All of them have been fine for
> months, but now on one of them I can't delete any files. Using the
> console & rm both root and user can delete. If I login as root then I
> can use Nautilus to delete files. On the machine which serves the nfs
> shares deleting using rm works fine (it doesn't have Nautilus). So its
> only for a normal user in Nautilus. I've tried reinstalling Nautilus and
> deleting ~/.nautilus, neither had any effect. I've googled around and
> appartently i can workaround this by enabling permanent delete in
> Natuilus. This is something I would really like to avoid, especially
> since this was working perfectly not long ago.
>
> Any suggestions are really welcome.

My guess is that this is somehow related to moving the deleted file to
the trash directory, and that somehow ends up on another mountpoint (or
looks like it). You can enable a non-trashing delete in the prefs. Does
that work, that would prove it?

I'm not sure how this can happen though...

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an underprivileged Catholic paramedic living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a foxy wisecracking doctor from the wrong side of the tracks.
They fight crime!