Re: Actions to take when copying/moving duplicate files

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 08:58 +0000, hirumono email it wrote:
> Hello,
> yesterday I tried to copy a large directory - with nested sub-dirs - over
> another one, which contained files with the same names or even real
> duplicates.
> Sadly, I was remembered that Nautilus only supports the "overwrite all or
> cancel" option, which I find to be a little limitating. After a while, in
> fact, I had to resort to old Worker.

We used to overwrite all, but these days we at least merge directories.

> Right now I'm trying to think about a way to make Nautilus' behaviour a
> little more flexible, and maybe it could be this way: when Nautilus finds
> out that the destination file already exists, it prompts a window (which
> could contain data about the source and dest files, such as
> creation/modification date, size and, why not, a thumbnail, like I suggested
> in another post), with four areas of choice:
> - skip (all, just the current directory, just this file);
> - overwrite (all, just the current directory, just this file);
> - auto-rename (appending a progressive suffix like .001 just before the file
> extension);
> - cancel.
> The choices could be made by means of combo boxes, so that space could be
> saved.

Auto rename sounds like an interesting idea. This sounds like its gonna
be a pretty daunting dialog though. Lots of information and choices.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an impetuous umbrella-wielding dwarf gone bad. She's a mistrustful gypsy
politician in the witness protection program. They fight crime!