Re: places and history sidebar integration

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 14:29 +0100, Stefano Teso wrote:

> I made a *very rough* patch that accomplishes this result (no expanders
> there yet, though). One conceptual problem is: how many history items
> should be shown to the user? I've defined a maximum number of N=8, but
> this isn't very flexible.

The Go menu limits itself the history to 10 items I think. At some point
it gets more efficient to renavigate to an old location than to browse
an enourmous history list. However, maybe we should have *somewhere* you
can get at the entire history list. Traditionally in web browsers that
has been the history sidebar. However, refinding an old webpage on the
net is *much* harder than refinding a disk folder, so maybe it doesn't
have to be in such a prominent place.

> If the idea is not being worked on by anyone else and I receive some
> kind of positive feedback (or at least no negative feedback ;-) ), I'd
> love to work on it myself. Any idea/comment welcome.

I think its a pretty good idea. It probably needs some experimenting to
get the separation of the history and the places part right, but it
seems like a move in the right direction.

> P.S. Where could I find plans/a roadmap of sorts for Nautilus 2.20 and
> beyond? I'd rellay love to know what developers are working on at the
> moment.

There really aren't that many Nautilus developers, and the ones there is
also work on a lot of other stuff. So, there aren't really much plans or
roadmaps.

The main thing I'm working on right now is replacing gnome-vfs with
gvfs, a glib level library. At the moment this is mainly platform work,
but when its a bit more done there will be a lot of work converting all
of nautilus (and the rest of the desktop) to use it instead of
gnome-vfs. Hopefully we'll be able to do this for Gnome 2.20, but its
gonna be a lot of work.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a gun-slinging guitar-strumming Green Beret trapped in a world he never
made. She's a cynical nymphomaniac snake charmer who hides her beauty behind a
pair of thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!