Re: Places sidebar eject button

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 10:01 +0200, Stefano Teso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I forgot to say that I uploaded a preliminary patch [1] for bug 343839,
> adding an `eject' button to the places sidebar.
>
> Cut'n pasting from the comment --
>
> Problems with the patch:
>
>  * Preliminary, unfinished, experimental, etc.
>
>  * It modifies NautilusCellRendererPixbufEmblem to emit an "activated" signal
> when clicked and adds the corresponding public API. Of course, a separate
> GtkCellRenderer class should be created for the same purpose, but it seemed
> overkill for such a preliminary, unfinished, experimental, etc. patch.
>
>  * The eject button doesn't react to mouse enter/leave events; this doesn't
> tell the user that the button is an active GUI element.
>
>  * Since I couldn't find a media-eject GTK stock icon, I used GTK_STOCK_REMOVE
> instead for the CellRenderer pixbuf, so the eject button doesn't look right.

Hmmm. The bug is wrong though. You can already eject/unmount the volume
from the sidebar. Just use the context menu. The mockup looks like a
straigh up copy of MacOSX, which has to do it this way since they only
have a single mouse button (and thus don't use context menus as widely).

The way this is done in your patch it adds an extra column to the places
list, which will make it use more space, and less space for the names.
Is that really worth it to not have to use the context menu?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing Catholic matador gone bad. She's a wealthy winged bounty
hunter who don't take no shit from nobody. They fight crime!