Re: Column view update & issues & tabs

On 3/30/07, Francesco Fumanti <francesco fumanti gmx net> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, and your points seem to make sense.
Particularly, I can confirm that I rarely have multiple nautilus windows
open.

I do, in fact I only have one really real use case for tabs in a file
manager that I haven't found a good workaround for (maybe if the
window manager actually did help ;-)). I often work in multiple
directories at the same time, sometimes in the same project, sometimes
not - but either way, switching via the tree or a future column view
isn't really enough - I do want separate windows in functionality, but
I don't want a a lot of windows on my desktop.

That's essentially what tabs are in most apps, several windows with
better grouping than the wm. Because, I don't find that the window
manager helps me any there. If I'm working in my file manager, I don't
want to go hunting for other windows all the time when I could just
click a tab.

That's the one use case I really miss from other managers, even though
I'd appreciate the tabs in other situations also. Or if there was a
better way the wm could help me of course, though I don't know how
that would be. I'm not at all sure if it's just a mental block I have
either, because I can't really tell why this is so *much* easier than
the task bar or exposé-like stuff. It just is. :)

As an aside, I've wondered mutiple times if it would be possible to
have the window manager group applications with tabs in the windows,
much like XP groups apps on the task bar, but instead of having a menu
there, having the bottom(?) of the window have a tab for each
instance. I think that would fit my workflow perfectly, but it's hard
to tell. Wonder if that would be easy to add to Metacity and try it
out...

-- Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Lundén