Re: [patch] [bug 432510] samba filename encoding on none UTF-8 locales

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 22:04 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
wrote:
> OK, what about my patch? It means we have an option that samba URI can
> be none UTF-8 in case users configure the environment parameter.
> It looks like an easy way to show the same encoding between samba and
> UTF-8.
> If it's not good, do you have any other ideas?

What I don't like about it is that it applies one setting to *all* smb
shares. But all smb shares are not the same, so if only some smb shares
has this problem then you can't use the env-var solution.

A better solution is to have different setting for this on each smb
share. This is the solution i'm working towards in gvfs, which is to
replace gnome-vfs. gvfs has an explicit knowledge of "mounts", so we can
have per-mount settings like filename encoding.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scarfaced misogynist cowboy on the edge. She's a beautiful kleptomaniac
former first lady on her way to prison for a murder she didn't commit. They
fight crime!