Re: Re: [Usability] New dialog for handling file conflicts in Nautilus - UI review request

Calum Benson wrote:

> However, I'm not sure I necessarily agree.  Most of the time, when I'm
> copying or moving files, my intention is to replace any conflicting
> files.  I'd never look at the thumbnails in those cases.  I can't even
> remember the last time I started a move/copy operation without
> realising there was going to be a conflict, and then had to make a per-
> file decision once the operation was in progress.

For me, unexpected conflicts are most likely with images :)
I wouldn't mind the dialog remembering collapsed/expanded state.

> (But this is one of the details that makes it hard to design this type
> of dialog without some user testing... right now we're really just
> guessing what the most common use cases are, based on our own
> experiences.)

I rather have a better dialog soon, based on our limited experience,
than a well researched one never ;)
Now, if someone here is in a position to do that testing, great!

> Maybe, that just makes the GUI logic a little more complex-- you'd
> probably want to disable one entry while they were typing in the
> other, and then it may not be obvious (even with the Reset button) how
> to enable the other field again if they changed their mind.
>
> Or you could just allow them to type names in both fields, I guess,
> which would rename both files, but that doesn't seem like a
> particularly useful thing to allow.

In my mind, getting rid of the radio buttons flattens the logic and
interaction. I see no use in disallowing both files to be renamed.

Addition: if there are several conflicts and the user chooses Skip,
maybe a report should be brought up, a list of all skipped files to make
it easy to review them. Not so much a dialog, more a file browser window.

--
Thorsten Wilms