Re: [Usability] New dialog for handling file conflicts in Nautilus - UI review request

On 24 Apr 2008, at 08:01, t_w_ freenet de wrote:

So I think for images, almost everyone's firsts tep would be to hit that
disclosure triangle ...

If that were true, maybe it could just be expanded by default for images.

However, I'm not sure I necessarily agree. Most of the time, when I'm copying or moving files, my intention is to replace any conflicting files. I'd never look at the thumbnails in those cases. I can't even remember the last time I started a move/copy operation without realising there was going to be a conflict, and then had to make a per- file decision once the operation was in progress.

(But this is one of the details that makes it hard to design this type of dialog without some user testing... right now we're really just guessing what the most common use cases are, based on our own experiences.)

- You get the choice to rename either the original file or the copy.
Maybe this is overkill, but it doesn't affect the rest of my comments
either way...

I don't think it's overkill. But you could have 2 entries (and Reset
buttons), no radio buttons.

Maybe, that just makes the GUI logic a little more complex-- you'd probably want to disable one entry while they were typing in the other, and then it may not be obvious (even with the Reset button) how to enable the other field again if they changed their mind.

Or you could just allow them to type names in both fields, I guess, which would rename both files, but that doesn't seem like a particularly useful thing to allow.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team