Re: [Usability] New dialog for handling file conflicts in Nautilus - UI review request

Calum Benson wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2008, at 22:03, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I wrote a dialog to improve the way Nautilus behaves when there's a
> > conflict between two files in a file operation.
> > Here you can find some screenshots:
> >
> > http://www.lilik.it/~anarki/media/my/gnome/file-conflict.png
> > http://www.lilik.it/~anarki/media/my/gnome/file-conflict-rename.png
>
> Like most attempts at improving this dialog in the past, the main
> problem is that it's initially pretty overwhelming to look at IMHO.
> I'd like to see even more in the way of progressive disclosure, so by
> default it might look more like this quick mockup: <http://www.gnome.org/~calum/screenies/nautilus-replace.png

Thinking about the dialog, comparing with a nice mc dialog and features
missing there, I can imagine lower mentioned super powerful one. If you
implement it, it will force me to use nautilus instead of mc or shell
for mass moves and mass renames.

A file name sonic.jpg already exist. (0)
Original file, path, etc.
[ Open ] (1) [ Open With... ] (2)
Target file, path, etc.
[ Open ] (1) [ Open With... ] (2) [ Compare ] (2) (3)
(( Here may appear note. Files are identical (will be replaced). )) (4)
@ Skip (4)
o Replace
o Choose alternative name _sonic|.jpg_ (5) (6)
> More options (7)
 o Replace older by newer
 o Replace smaller by larger
 o Replace if size differs
 o Replace and make backup __orig_
 o Copy using back-up name __new_
 o Append (some file types only)
 x Apply back-up name before file suffix
 [] Do not keep original (8)
 x Smart backup names (_orig2 instead of _orig_orig)
x Apply for all files (0)
[] Apply for all directories (0)
x Silently replace identical files (9)

(0) If there are conflicting directory names, the dialog will appear,
even if there are no conflicting files (and the dialog will show "A
directory name...".

(1) This may be click action of the thumbnail.

(2) This may be context menu of the thumbnail.

(3) Text files only for now. In future, when Desktop Actions will be
implemented, "Compare" desktop action will apply.

(4) Asynchronous implementation would help for long files. (Imagine
GIMP save dialog and "Show file size".) Choosing "Skip" + "Silently
replace identical files" would imply replacing this one.

(5) The actual behavior of Nautilus (putting cursor to the end of the
name base) seems to be optimal here.

(6) If "Choose alternative name" + "Apply for all files" are selected,
the dialog will appear next time with focus on alternative name.

(7) "More options" hidden by default.

(8) Remove shorter, older,... file, even if not used.

(9) identical contents, identical time stamps and permissions.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/