Re: controlling icon order

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 14:22 -0700, Michael Brewer-Davis wrote:
> > The list is reasonable for fallbacks (file is executable), but how can I
> > ensure my icon is chosen for all themes (that don't override this
> > specific type)?
>
> > Asides:
> > If I switch the executable bit, the list becomes application-t4l-pixie,
> > application-x-generic, text-x-generic, with the text icon chosen.
>
> Poking through the gio code (just enough to hang myself), I notice that
> gio automatically adds one of "folder", "application-x-executable", or
> "text-x-generic" to the list of icon names.
>
> Since the "gnome" theme defines icons for these three mimetypes, it
> seems it would never be sufficient to add icons only to the hicolor
> theme--one must add to the gnome theme as well.
>
> I don't like adding non-themed icons to the theme directories.  Any
> thoughts on a better angle?

The newer GIO icon lookup has caused regressions to icon lookup where
the correct icons are only available in hicolor.

I think the old icon lookup behaviour should be reverted:

Take each icon name in turn, and if it is found (in any theme, including
inherited / fallback themes), use that icon.

Themes which don't have very specific icons, and who's authors would
rather (say) use gnome-dev-dvd from their theme, than
gnome-dev-disc-dvdrom from a fallback, then they should (IMO) symlink
the specific name to the generic icon they wish to use.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,