Re: controlling icon order

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2 cam ac uk> wrote:

> The newer GIO icon lookup has caused regressions to icon lookup where
> the correct icons are only available in hicolor.
>
> I think the old icon lookup behaviour should be reverted:
>
> Take each icon name in turn, and if it is found (in any theme, including
> inherited / fallback themes), use that icon.
>
> Themes which don't have very specific icons, and who's authors would
> rather (say) use gnome-dev-dvd from their theme, than
> gnome-dev-disc-dvdrom from a fallback, then they should (IMO) symlink
> the specific name to the generic icon they wish to use.

1) GIO is not to blame here, icon lookup is implemented in GtkIconTheme

2) GtkIconTheme just implements the icon theme spec

3) It is not clear to me that hicolor is really meant as a place to
install mime icons, though I admit that I don't really have any better
solution for installing custom mime icons

4) I think there may be room for adding two-level fallback to
GIO/GtkIconTheme, then
    GIO could add the last-ditch fallback names like "folder",
"application-x-executable",
    etc, in a way that only makes them kick in if none of
"application-t4l-pixie",
   "application-t4l", "application" are found in the current icon theme.

Matthias