Re: Nautilus splitted-view

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 11:45 +0100, Marc Müller wrote:
> Hello dear Gnome developers,
>
> I recently switched from KDE to the Gnome Desktop environment and I
> love Gnome so far. But there is one thing I miss from KDE: The option
> to split the view in the file browser. It's a really nice feature,
> which greatly enhances the workflow. Now, I'm writing this mail
> because I wanted to ask if it might be possible to include such a
> feature into the next version, or versions, of the Nautilus file
> browser. I would really like to help but I just recently started to
> learn coding, so I don't think that I'd be really good at helping, but
> nevertheless, I created a mock-up of what I think would be a could way
> to implement the splitted view. It's attached to this e-mail. My
> Nautilus is in German but I think it's still easy to see what I mean.
>
> Anyway, all the best, and keep up the good work.

I just took a quick look at the screenshot, and my first impression is
that of confusion.  I see the Location entry indicating that the current
directory is "/", but on either side of the pane I see two different
directories and there is no apparent indication about which one is
actually "/", and what the other one is.

Can you explain the purpose of this feature in a little more detail,
because I don't understand yet how it is useful.  So far it just seems
potentially confusing, at least to me.

/ Cody