Re: gio, gvfs and nautilus fixes

Le mercredi 27 février 2008 à 21:54 -0500, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 19:20 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > I think there is nothing to "explain" to users. They just end up with
> > stuff in nautilus "computer:" and will have no idea how it is filled.
> > Asking them to move mountpoint won't be easier..
>
> In Fedora there's plenty of users complaining about stuff showing up.

I guess we don't have the same set of users on Mandriva ;)

> > We (Mandriva) are using /mnt for "static" (ie already present on the
> > system before install) Windows partitions (since there is no rational
> > for moving them in /media, as stated in FHS) and creating other random
> > mount points is not a option either.
>
> Not sure why you want to do this; Windows and Mac OS X disks on my
> tripple-boot Mac Book Pro laptop show up nicely on my system via
> HAL/gnome-mount/nautilus/gvfs without me (as a user) having to do
> anything special nor did my vendor (Fedora) have to do anything special.
> It Just Works(tm).

I want to do this because it is not showing up currently (with released
tarballs) with HAL / gnome-mount/nautilus/gvfs, otherwise, I wouldn't be
complaining :)

<this is not a personal attack nor a vendor flamewar>
Saying you don't have to do anything as a vendor doesn't bring anything
to the debate here, since you are at the same time "upstream" and
"vendor" so it is much more easier for requirements from "vendor" side
to be fulfilled by upstream (even if it is not a conscious decision).
</this is not a personal attack nor a vendor flamewar>

> (Sure, the first time I access them I get to authenticate for a
> PolicyKit authorization but that thing is a one-time pain.)
>
> My point is that this kind of stuff just needs to work in GNOME without
> having the distro vendor jump through hoops and mount stuff in weird
> places.

Again, define "weird" places. "/mnt" is not more weird than "/media"
since as FHS define "/media" as "Mount point for removeable media" and I
don't see an internal disk Windows (or Mac) partitions as a removable
media.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva