Re: gio, gvfs and nautilus fixes

David Zeuthen wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 15:35 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

I'm not sure everyone wants everything under /mnt show up as "user
visisble" volumes. Its an old-style unix thing and may well contain
"implementation-specific" mountpoints that are symlinked into from other
places (something /usr -> /mnt/hdb1/usr for instance).

I'll let davidz reply with his opinions on this.

Only showing stuff from /media and $HOME is _a lot_ easier to explain to
users. /mnt is historically difficult to handle as some people put stuff
in there and don't want it to be shown; we don't have that problem
with /media. For /media we can simply tell people to move it to /mnt..
so if we showed /mnt we wouldn't be able to tell people to move it
somewhere sanely (/srv doesn't really count).

FWIW, I'm even opposed to a configure option, distros shouldn't behave
different. If a distro, for gods know what reason, what to show stuff
in /mnt they can patch the source.

That's my opinion anyway.

     David

I wonder if a low-level system like GIO should really decide about volume visibility or rather provide the info to let the front-end decide. For instance in KIO-GIObridge i only want to filter the remote GVFS mounts. At the moment i am achieving this with listing only the mounts which don't point to file://, but that looks like a hack. A nicer solution - i think - would be some kind of "domain" attribute for volumes and mounts ("remote-vfs", "removable-media", "local", "fuse"...)

Regards,
Norbert