Re: automounting / autorunning

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:47 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> You should probably only do this if on startup if the automount
> preference is set.

Done. Btw, we're probably automounting in the wrong place, e.g. too
early: If nautilus is already running and you start another instance
this code will run an the other instance will exit too. You probably
know better than me where to move it.

> Also, there is still some coding style issues. Nautilus always uses
> brackets everywhere, even if there is only one line in the block.

I think I've fixed this. It's a bit confusing because gio/gvfs uses
another coding style.

> > There's also a small gvfs patch that fixes some bugs with the hal
> > backend that I ran into when doing all this. The patches are here
>
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gvfs-hal-stuff.patch
>
> I'm commiting this, as I'm working on the mount stuff in nautilus.

Here's an updated version

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nxct-glib.patch

This fixes a bug where the returned GIcon isn't reffed.

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nxct-gvfs.patch

Partly some work on getting LUKS to work properly (needs more work; am
doubtful it can properly fixed without major fixes to underlying
subsystems. Oh well.).

Also, more importantly, also a temporary hack that can be removed once
the g_mount_guess_content() code lands in gio/gvfs (it's about
decorating the volume objects with some data that contains hal
properties. Without this we would need to export a device identifier and
Nautilus would use this to lookup the data on hal.)

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nxct-nautilus.patch

This is the big patch. It adds the following features (in addition to
those described in the last mail).

 - support for fd.o autorun spec
 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-autorun-1.png
   - there's a TODO to handle autorun.inf; it was less trivial than
     I thought so I'll ask Jeffrey to help (bgo #509823)

   - done through a x-content/software handler
     - so it's easy to turn off / replace (think a handler that looks
       at certificates/signatures on software on the media). Like this:
       http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-fmp-5.png

 - Finalized the x-content types
   - Dunno if you have any feedback on the choices made
   - Also finalized all the probing code

 - Cluebar!
 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-cluebar-musicplayer.png
 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-x-content-cluebar-1.png

  - The last screenshot shows the "generic" greeting. For well-known
    x-content types (include DVD video), there's a more custom greeting.

  - Cluebar is shown in all folders on the media

 - "open with" support
   http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-x-content-open-with.png
   - this doesn't work in computer:/// yet (works on icons on the
     desktop though).

     - the more I look at it the code, the more unsure a computer:///
       backend is what we want.

       Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just represent computer:///
       through custom code in Nautilus (much like mount icons on the
       desktop)? If we did that it would be easier to create a more
       optimized layout like e.g.

       http://www.dhtmlnirvana.com/screenshots/vista_005.jpg

       e.g. both categorizations and details like conveying free
       space etc.

       Is computer:/// even used outside Nautilus?

   - by default a folder is opened; I think that makes more sense
     than launching the default app by default. The cluebar

Anyway, with this patch this feature should be pretty much a done deal.
Thanks for any feedback.

      David