How a plugin may know which version of nautilus is running?

I have an implementation of a plug-in that uses sub-menus.  Sub-menus is
a feature that was added in 2.16, however it had issues which where
resolved in 2.22.4.

So, I would like to know which version of Nautilus is running in order
to use or not sub-menus.

I do prefer sub-menus, but also I would like to support older versions
where sub-menus doesn't work properly and/or distros that doesn't have
nautilus 2.22.4 yet.

If not, may you suggest a workaround?  It doesn't work if I ask for the
method set_submenu (exists or not), because in some versions exists but
it is buggy.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
Concepción - Chile