Re: Column-view extension - where to start?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Ben West <mrgenixus gmail com> wrote:
> Are you sure that column-view isn't patented? -- sounds like implementing it
> MIGHT require extending gtk, as I see it.

In GNOME, Rhythmbox implements (static) Miller Columns without
extending Gtk+. Yes, those _are_ Miller Columns; the Miller Column
view is a visualization of tree data structures by representing levels
of depth as columns, pruning unwanted branches in each subtree by
selected parent nodes and/or in Rhythmbox's example, with the search
function. Rhythmbox's implementation successively divides the tree
"Music" by (in the attached case) "BT", then Genre,  Artist and then
Album, with the last level of the tree containing the leaf nodes
represented in the wider song list below in more detail. Nautilus
would divide the per-mount/per-bookmark file system tree by folders
(see the made-in-15-minutes non-Nautilus prototype; other screenshot
attachment), but it's the same thing.

It's a pretty simple thing to do conceptually: a root GtkTreeView with
a master GtkTreeModel which, upon selection of a non-leaf node, spawns
another tree view and a GtkTreeModelFilter based on the selection.
Repeat the last step recursively as the user traverses the tree. Pack
the tree views in a (vertical) scroll window, pack the windows side by
side in a hbox inside of a (horizontal) scroll window and you have a
dynamic Miller Column view. The problems from there are all
implementation details (and there are plenty of them to deal with).
You could make a general purpose composite widget for this and stick
it in Gtk+, but we would likely need to reinvent/subclass it anyways
to make it work around Nautilus' internals.

Patents: Unless Mark Miller (caplet.com/papers.html) or one of the
(even older ;) Smalltalk goons patented the layout, you can be sure
any patent otherwise is likely to be invalid due to prior art. And if
the owners of this one haven't sued anyone (read: NeXT, Apple, any one
of the hundred websites that have used it at some point including
Amazon and eBay, Bugzilla, KDE) by now, then it's not worth our
concern. It is currently believed it was invented circa early '80 by
Miller (he didn't patent it, though) and any patent from then or
earlier would have lapsed and we could use the layout freely.

-A. Walton