Re: [Usability] File operations dialog redesign

Bogdan Butnaru wrote on 09/06/08 11:38:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr> wrote:
>>
>> Just a nitpick: "Pause" doesn't seem like a very bright concept to me.
>> What do you want to achieve with such a button ?

My design doesn't include a "Pause" button. You may be looking at some
of the alternative designs posted in the Comments section.

>> If you just want to prioritize your downloads, how about a "Wait"
>> button, which would pause the download until the other ones are
>> finished ?
>
> That doesn't sound bad at all. It might be good to be even more
> verbose, like "Wait for other operations" or "Finish others first".
> Maybe even "Pause until others are done", heh.

I think the "Do First" button does what you're looking for here.

> On the other hand, I do sometimes want to just pause a file operation,
> even if no other is in progress; for example, if I start a big copy-op
> from/to a remote drive, I might want to pause it, do something that
> needs the bandwidth (e.g., show somebody some photos, etc.) and then
> resume the operation. In this case, stopping it and restarting can be
> much harder.

As I explained in my reply to Liam R E Quin, that would mean adding a
third button for each task, and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/