Re: Features request

Dnia 2008-03-01, So o godzinie 20:00 +0530, Nageshwar M pisze:
> List of the Features:
>  * Integrated desktop search engines
>           A search box will be placed on the right-top edge.

apt-get install deskbar

>  * Embedded previews. [supports document viewer, gthumb viewer, totem
> player, openoffice]
>           The default viewers should be decided based on their loading time.
>           users can also write scripts to support more views.

Nautilus already supports thumbnailers.
Eog provides thumbnailers for pictures, Totem for movies, Evince for
PDFs, etc.
Providing thumbnailer is a task for viewer, not Nautilus.

>  * Option to remember the currently opened windows. useful at the time
> of reboot.

Job of gnome-session. Just enable the option in Session Preferences.

>  * Scripts should be able to create sub-menus in the right-click
> context menu, so that actions
>    can be easily categorized. [I don't know if nautilus already
> supports this feature].

apt-get install nautilus-actions nautilus-script-manager

>  * Pre-loading the contents of the next possible directories. Based on
> the previous user behavior, nautilus
>    predicts next possible directories in the user navigation and pre
> loads the contents like file properties,
>    thumbnails etc.,

apt-get install preload

>  * Custom File Icon sizes

Nautilus already supports scaling icons to custom size.

>  * Editable file address buttons [similar to the one in vista explorer]

What are the "editable address buttons"?

>  * Tabbed browsing [I too don't like this option, but many people are
> waiting for this]
>           But I strongly recommend for a way to quickly copy files
> from one place to other.
>           Split screen should solve this problem, but nautilus should
> have its own way!!

There was an MDI discussion about the splitting the Nautilus windows
just last week. Consensus is that it is a job of window manager, so you
would rather need to work on Metacity to support this.

> * Option to display the album art of the music files as their icons.

Cool idea. Could be implemented as a thumbnailer.
For the audio files and for the containing directory.
I don't know whether folders support thumbnailing. If not, it could be a
task to add this functionality.

> * Option for viewing and editing the ratings of the media files.

Rating is media-player specific, so it would be a job on the Rhythmbox,
not Nautilus. Nautilus already supports adding custom properties tabs.

> * Using sshfs, ftpfs, smbfs support, we can implement the remote file
> browsing also.

Gio/gvfs already support this.

> These features should be optional since some users like the nautilus
> for its simplicity.

And they are.
You install the required package, or not. ;-)

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^' http://www.xiaoka.com/