Re: Install Scripts System Wide

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 18:52 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 11.05.2008, 14:33 +0200 schrieb Christopher Bratusek:
> > ... I made that feature request a half year ago, so I'm going to try
> > it
> > again: What about adding  DATADIR/nautilus/scripts as a system-wide
> > place for installing nautilus-scripts beside
> > $HOME/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts ? That way we don't have to install the
> > scripts for each user.

Yes, I fond it annoying too.
You can try to link all user $HOME/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts directories
to global one. And add this to /etc/skeleton or whatever else you use,
so for new users it is done automatically

> I am not really convinced that system-wide templates and scripts are a
> real benefit.
>
> It might be a good idea, but this feature may be abused by admins or
> distributors to pollute user menus with un-removable system-wide
> "enforced" scripts/templates.

Even if it were - what is a problem? It is like: "I don't give you knife
and fork because you may hurt your neighbour. So please eat with your
bare hands." ;)

BTW. what is wrong with enforced system-wide scripts?
It is like mandatory gconf settings.
And, in my opinion, very useful.

> What is your use-case?
In my case, I wanted to add "PS2PDF". There were also other company-
specific tasks.

Regards,

Olaf

--