Re: [Patch] Proposal for Compact icon view: fill row to right margin

Zoran Rilak wrote:
Also, when viewing a directory with many differently-sized icons,
having the icons neatly arranged along the right edge (as opposed to
it being "jagged" as it is now), goes a long way to remove the
"messy" feeling when using Compact view.

As I only use List view I may not exactly be qualified to comment on
this (one of the original reasons I remained silent). Took me a while to
figure but it seems you were referring to Icons view with Compact Layout
(View -> Arange -> Compact Layout)

On to the actual patch. I applied the patch compared the current
implementation with yours but after a half hour or more of experimenting
with it I'm still a little confused.

It seems that with your patch applied the layout is resized more fluidly
and the what seems to me uncomfortable white margin on the right edge is
eliminated. I wouldn't agree with Alex that it feels busy, but as I
stated before I've never really used this layout (neither in Nautilus
nor any other applications). At this moment I'm leaning towards calling
it an improvement.

Personally I feel that Compact Layout itself is very "messy"
(obviously this doesn't have much to do with your patch).  In the
situation where you have thumbnails/icons of different sizes they simply
aren't aligned properly. The problem is that in the normal layout the
uncomfortable right margin is still there.

Besides that there are still situations where both the Compact Layout
and the default one look messy.

I made a little video comparing the two layouts. The darker instance is
2.26.3 with your patch applied, the lighter one is 2.24.1 without. You
can view it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlP1yriF084

Personally I'm interested in seeing how other file managers (Finder in
particular) handles this situation.

Hope this was of any use to you.

Best regards,

Bruce