Re: [Patch] Proposal for Compact icon view: fill row to right margin

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 20:30 -0400, Zoran Rilak wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   Attached is a small patch that stretches the rows in Compact icon
> view so that the icons align along the right edge as well.  Resizing a
> window in Compact view with this patch applied offers a more fluid
> visual rearrangement of the icons: until a row of icons wraps, the
> padding between the icons grows or shortens together with the right
> window border.  This gives a more interactive feel of the desktop.
> Also, when viewing a directory with many differently-sized icons,
> having the icons neatly arranged along the right edge (as opposed to
> it being "jagged" as it is now), goes a long way to remove the "messy"
> feeling when using Compact view.
>
>   This patch only redistributes the extra padding to the right of the
> last icon among all the icons in the row.  No room is "stolen" from
> the view and the same number of icons will fit in a row under all
> circumstances both with and without the patch.

Hmmm. I must say I'm not sure the patched behaviour is nicer. I agree
that the 'static' case looks nicer without the jagged right edge.
However, the resize looks very "busy" with everything changing all the
time.

What do other people think?