Re: Console output form Nautilus?

> I'm developing an extension for Nautilus, and so I tend to rely on
> console output when something goes seriously wrong. I recently
> upgraded to 2.28.1 (under Debian Squeeze), and it seems I can no
> longer use my old trick of running "nautilus -q; nautilus
> --no-desktop" to run Nautilus and see messages in the console
> (despite
> the fact that I have Nautilus set to *not* draw the desktop). All
> that
> happens now is that it starts up as some sort of background process
> (or, in certain cases, starts up many, many instances until I have to
> use killall or log out... I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce that,
> though).

Hi Jason,

As an extension developer too, I've already seen the "Nautilus
starts many many many instances" syndrom: this has appeared
after 'killall nautilus' to take into account a new version of
the extension library. It seems that the system believes that
Nautilus has terminated, so starting a new instance, but the
initial Nautilus process is always in memory.
One reason: one buggy extension library, failing to initialize.

Also, I use g_debug+syslog for debugging messages.

Regards
Pierre