Re: Console output form Nautilus?

2009/12/21 Pierre Wieser <pwieser trychlos org>:
> As an extension developer too, I've already seen the "Nautilus
> starts many many many instances" syndrom: this has appeared
> after 'killall nautilus' to take into account a new version of
> the extension library. It seems that the system believes that
> Nautilus has terminated, so starting a new instance, but the
> initial Nautilus process is always in memory.
> One reason: one buggy extension library, failing to initialize.

The reason as I understood it was that nautilus would quit if it had
nothing to do (no desktop, no open windows), and then be respawned by
the GNOME session to handle mounting, etc, whereupon it would quit
again, be respawned, etc...

The strange thing is, if I type in the commands at a terminal myself,
it's fine. If I run it from a shell script, boom!

> Also, I use g_debug+syslog for debugging messages.

I use debugging output from my own extension too, but my problem is that:

1. I don't particularly want to wrap the whole thing in a try/except
block and log the exception, and,
2. I want something I can tell users to do to quickly diagnose a fatal
problem on a machine different from my own.

In the past, I could use "nautilus --no-desktop" and get an idea of
why my extension might have failed, but alas no longer. And I can't
find any log to look at for similar messages (which would be even
better... there must be a log somewhere, right?)

Cheers,
Jason