Re: Accessing the status bar with an extension

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Andreas Heinlein <aheinlein gmx com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need a functionality in nautilus similar to what e.g. WinZip offers
> under Windows, namely displaying some details of a selected ZIP file in
> the status bar. That means I select a ZIP file in Explorer (not open
> it!), and in the status bar I can see how many files there are in the
> archive, compression ratio etc.
>
> For nautilus, I think this would be possible by writing an extension,
> but I could not find out if it is possible to access the status bar via
> the extension API (I'd like to use python, if that matters). From what I
> read, it should be possible to give additional details about a file with
> an additional properties page, but this is not what I want.
>
> Before I start digging into the topic of writing a nautilus extension,
> I'd first like to know if it's possible.

Well we don't currently export that ability, but it could be done. The
question of should it be done is an entirely different one, especially
with the efforts to minimize the impact of the interface and the
several discussions we've had about minimizing/hiding (ala Google
Chrome's statusbar) or removing the status bar entirely.

My first reaction is just to ask what kind of information about the
file is so important that it should be displayed in the status bar?
Would that information be better served in its own panel, like e.g.
the "preview panel"/quicklook concept that's been floating for a
while?

-A. Walton