Re: [patch] confirm before sending to trash

On 03/16/2011 11:06 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Not true. It actually solves the problem pretty nicely. In fact this is
>> the solution that all other browser with a delete-key use: including
>> Konqueror, Thunar and Microsoft Explorer.
>
> And they all fail to provide a proper solution because of point 4.

Yet they provide a solution and make users happy. Do I really have to
explain why having a solution to a problem is better than having no
solution? Especially if this is going on for at least 7 years and
hundreds of users complaint about it?

>> This is NOT a workaround.
>
> It is definitely a workaround. The fact that you want to make this
> option configurable shows that it is not a proper solution.

There are plenty of configurable options in nautilus: are you saying
they all lashups?

Either you
> enable it and you’re confronted with annoying dialogs, or you disable it
> and you can delete file by mistake. Congratulations, you now have 2
> different broken behaviors instead of one.

What drives me mad about this attitude is that hundreds of people would
be more than happy to have a confirmation dialog. But nope! Someone
always know better than them what is good and bad. By the way, this is
the reason why the patch gives the option to enable/disable that dialog
on the first place. I erroneously thought: "people who want the dialog
will enable it and be happy, people who don't will leave it alone and
keep discussing about what is the really truly best solution for the
next 7 years".
Little did I know!

http://gilest.ro