Re: sort by extension?

On 06.07.2016 19:26, António Fernandes wrote:

developer oldunreal com <developer oldunreal com> escreveu no dia quarta, 6/07/2016 às 12:11:
Hello António,
that's indeed a nice workaround I didn't think of yet. Thank you for that.

Glad to have helped :)

Still I hope some of the dev's is reading this and the functionality is being considered, I really find it somewhat odd that for whatever reasons this has not been implemented so far.

I believe you didn't reply-to-all this message, so no dev's are reading this. You need to add nautilus-list gnome org as CC. I don't know if it was your intention or not so I didn't CC the list on this reply.
Yuk! My fault. You are right, I didn't watch it while replying. This one should be now for everyone again (sorry everybody for confusion).

In my opinion, as a nautilus user and sporadic non-programmer contributor, I think it is unlikely that a sort-by-extension option willl be added to the UI, even if, programming-wise, it is easy to implement. Thanks to your exposition and examples, I can now understand how the small differences actually make a critical difference for your use case; yet, I guess most people can't tell the difference. Making nautilus simpler for a specific case should not make it more complex for the common cases. So creating a solution for this UX problem is probably more complicated than the implementation of the sorting option itself.
I think even under this consideration the gain of complexity seems to be a manageable amount, after all it's only a single entry more in like 3 different places, plus it can be a column not activated by default so that only people have to deal with that feature who really need it.
Also I'm pretty convinced it's not so rare that a Linux user has to interact and deal with the windows world, no matter if you take now document handling or maybe even gaming via wine. I really doubt that I'm a rare exception with such a requirement and google is reflecting that :)

Maybe the "Select Items Matching" feature was implemented with your kind of usage already in mind and it was the solution found at the time.

Then again, this is nothing more than my opinion and speculation

.
Perhaps, still it's only a workaround in my eyes (and yes, this is only my  opinion and speculation).
So, thank you again ;)
~Smirftsch