Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Jorn V's Luca (Was: Resuming a week of hardmochuping)

tor 2003-05-15 klockan 11.26 skrev MArk Finlay:
> >      1. real devices, iTunes and WMP use a little bigger play button!
>
> This idea makes sense to me. Hopefully we can fit it in in some way.

Yes, but the way it is done in your mockup looks quite dick imho.. with
priority text would be better already. (I'm not a big fan of this, but
if people think it is a good idea.. ok..)

> >      1. The best is label on left, checks on right, so we can use the
> >         label to show menu item's tooltips
> >          ___________________________________________________________
> >         | 45 songs, 34:23 total                  []Shuffle []Repeat |
>
> I woluld disagree with this. The status is showing the status of the
> song list which is on the right, so it makes sense to have the status on
> the right. Also the shuffle and repeat controls make more sense to me
> vertically below the play controls.

Agree.

> > --> Add Special Action Button
>
> I think it's better to remove it. It may look cool, but i'd prefer to
> have a good "Tools" or "Actions" menu. The major problem with the old rb
> was menus changing between sources. I think that having a button doing
> the same would cause the same problems, confusions and frustrations.

Agree, again. :)

> > In mp-summary.glade there are some assembled windows using all previous
> > mockups/ideas. I like all them (and all plausible variations using
> > legoland stuff): I can't choose one :-(
>
> These all "make sense" from a design point of view, and they are more
> symmetical than jorn's latest (e.png) which I like. But they do lack the
> browser toggle which I'm told is very important and I tend to agree. I'd
> love to see if you can fit that in somewhere without destroying the
> symmetry.
>
> I've attached a modified version of jorn's e.png with a bigger play
> button cus I love that idea. I've also attached a modified version of my
> favourite one of Luca's glade-ups.

I think this one looks rather cramped really.. especially the area with
all the buttons..

(also I'm now quite strongly convinved the volume control should be
vertical, I've tried changing volumes on horiz vs. vert and vertical
just feels a LOT more natural..)

> I'm really not sure which one of these I prefer. I REALLY don't like the
> lack of symmetry in Jorn's one, but I'm not mad about how big the
> toolbar area is in Luca's. But on comparing them Luca's toolbar isn't
> really that much bigger than Jorn's one, it just feels bigger because
> the source list is a lot lower.
>
> At the same time, There is not doubt in my mind that Luca's would be A
> LOT easier to use for the new user, and probably the experienced user
> alike. It has three clearly defined areas. You can look at it an
> instantly know what everything does.

I find it pretty stressing to my eyes actually.. all widgets
concentrated with all different reliefs and frames and colors and font
sizes.. and I find my eyes dancing around the top area (multiple
'layers' of controls vertically, just like when reading text, it makes
your eyes skip up and down) whereas for some reason with mine they can
just stare at it and see everything at once without having to move the
eyes around.. (one layer..)
I agree though that the 'player area frame' is kinda like.. boom.. this
is one group of controls, it's really clear (but ugly). Frankly I don't
think there will be any confusion what the slider does in my mockup
though. (What could it do but seek.. it's above the duration, etc, and
especially when it starts moving during playback..)

> It would be great if we could compact the toolbar slightly, but even if
> we couldn't i still think that Luca's is probably a better look to go
> with. Usability IS what gnome is all about after all.

Sure, usability is what really matters - though consistency is important
too. And I personally wouldnt use an app like that purely for aesthethic
reasons..