Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Jorn V's Luca (Was: Resuming a week of hardmochuping)

Il sab, 2003-05-17 alle 14:07, Jorn Baayen ha scritto:
> fre 2003-05-16 klockan 22.50 skrev James Kahn:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 05:07, MArk Finlay wrote:
> > > I'm very happy with whatever you and Colin want to go with. Both of the
> > > designs are excellent and are a million times better than old rb :)
> > >
> > > I think that we should just pick a final mockup to go with and take a
> > > break from ui discussion for a while. Maybe it's just me, but I tire of
> > > it.
> >
> > I agree.  There will never be unanimous agreement on a UI.  I'd rather
> > Jorn and Colin pick one that I'm not 100% happy with than continue to
> > argue about this stuff.
>
> All the different ideas together brought lots of new ideas, so it
> certainly is not an unproductive discussion..

True, man!

> Maybe boring, sure, but not useless :)
>
> Colin, whats your fav at this point?

Don't we should ask a little review to usability team? IMHO it's better
now, so we don't need it when rb will included in the GNOME Desktop (and
we don't need to restart this discussion again ;-)

BTW: see attachment!!!

--
Think bigger

			My uncle
The HIG checklist is SW development

---Before We Start---
	* expected user (type)
	* write some scenarios (typical tasks those user will use
	  app for, i.e. "Freed needs to find an email about
	  widgets that he received last week")
	* use the same scenarios to test and compare different
	  interface designs
	* Include these user descriptions and scenarios with the
	  documentation (so other people can understand and/or
	  add scenarios)

---Keyboard Access---
	* Hide your mouse, and make sure you can still use it to
	  do everything using only the keyboard
	* see on HIG a complete list of _needed_ keyboard actions

---Theming---
	* test various GNOME themes (respects all the available
	  settings)
	* test high contrast theme (confirm that all information
	  is still conveyed correctly)

---Internationalization and Localization--
	* leave space for translated labels
	* shortcut keys that cause problems on a different
	  keyboard layout
	* using new terms in your app that are hard to translate

---Discussions---
	* ask to other people
	* ask to usability list

Other stuff

--Labels--
"To a visually-impaired user, clear labels are even more
important. A user who relies on a screenreader has no assistance
from icons, layout, or spacing to work out what the controls do,
so clear labelling is essential"

--> checkbox for shuffle/repeat

--Visual Design--
"Placement of visual components in an application is important
because relationships between elements are indicated by their
positions. A clean layout is crucial to creating a smooth visual
flow of information for the user."

"Using frames with visible borders to separate groups within a
window is deprecated. Use spacing and bold headers instead. This
is more effective because there are fewer gratuitous lines to
distract the user from the main content in the window."

--> if I'm right frames are deprecated when they distract users,
don't help them, isn't it?

--Fonts--
"Do not mix more than two or three font sizes and styles
(underlined, bold, italicized) in one window, as this will look
unprofessional and distract the user from the information being
conveyed."

--> this is for me :-)