Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] suggestions for development.

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:36, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> And we all know that the correct way to fix this is to set the artist tag
> in the music file to "Beatles, The" anyway.

We do all know that?  Speak for yourself.  I don't want my music
appliance telling me that it is playing "Ballad of John and Yoko, The"
by "Beatles, The" in the display window.  When not processing it for
sorting I believe that it should display the titles as the artist
intended.  On the other hand, when sorting it should follow the sorting
convention for the language.  I don't know how other languages do it,
but for English that means sort it as "Beatles, The".

You are just trading one problem for another.

> It's a very hard issue with mixed languages, too. I'm German, where
> one of the articles is "die". And I don't want seeing "die another day"
> sorted as "another day, die".

Maybe this needs to be a configurable option in Rhythmbox with a
configurable list of article words to ignore when sorting.

I don't know how that would help people that have mixed-language music
collections.  Maybe this is a flaw in the standard tagging scheme.
Perhaps there should be a "DISPLAY_ARTIST" and "SORT_ARTIST" or
something.  Although that is a messy solution too....

Sean