Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 07:22:48PM -0700, Matt Jones wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 19:30 -0500, Michael Messmore wrote:
> > To me I have trouble seeing its relevance to the rhythmbox applet.  I
> > guess it may be because I see the rhythmbox applet as being a
> > rhythmbox-playback applet, and I think the alarm idea could make a very
> > good rhythmbox-alarm applet.  There is a lot of code related to the
> > bonobo interface that could and should be reused across these, but I
> > think they are two different ideas with two separate (although
> > intersecting) target audiences.

As an aside, my primary intention with Rhythmbox Applet was indeed to be
used to control playback.

> I agree completely with the first part of this, but I'd like to suggest
> a notification area thing for alarms instead. An applet is generally
> more for interaction or viewing of information. You set alarms and
> forget about them (until the alarm goes off) - its not like you check
> every five minutes what time the alarm is for or reset the alarm all the
> time.
> The only negative is crowding the status area - probably part of the
> reason evolution-alarm-daemon doesn't notify you of its existance in the
> status area. But your still not crowding it as much as an applet would
> (it being the panel)

Unfortunately, any alarm is going to need *some* presence in order to
allow the user to interact with it.  Whether it's a notification icon or
a one-button panel applet (like the applet that comes with Gtodo), it's
still taking up space *somewhere* in the panel.  And if it didn't, how
would you get access to it?

Maybe the better approach is to forget about notification icons or
applets and instead make an easy way to set up cron jobs.  Then you
could tell it to launch an alarm program at 7:00 in the morning, and the
alarm program plops a bell icon in the notification area, cranks up the
volume, and has Rhythmbox start playing something nice and obnoxious.
As an added bonus, now your alarm doesn't have to worry about scheduling
itself at all; that's one less process you need to keep running.

Does GNOME have anything that lets you schedule things to run at a
certain time?  Surely something like that would have more uses than
making Rhythmbox into an alarm clock.