Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:38:37 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz
<kuliniew purdue edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 07:22:48PM -0700, Matt Jones wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 19:30 -0500, Michael Messmore wrote:
> > > To me I have trouble seeing its relevance to the rhythmbox applet.  I
> > > guess it may be because I see the rhythmbox applet as being a
> > > rhythmbox-playback applet, and I think the alarm idea could make a very
> > > good rhythmbox-alarm applet.  There is a lot of code related to the
> > > bonobo interface that could and should be reused across these, but I
> > > think they are two different ideas with two separate (although
> > > intersecting) target audiences.
>
> As an aside, my primary intention with Rhythmbox Applet was indeed to be
> used to control playback.

I also agree. Though 1 applet for both won't be so horrible, 2
separate programs is better IMO. Those are 2 completely different
tasks.

> > I agree completely with the first part of this, but I'd like to suggest
> > a notification area thing for alarms instead. An applet is generally
> > more for interaction or viewing of information. You set alarms and
> > forget about them (until the alarm goes off) - its not like you check
> > every five minutes what time the alarm is for or reset the alarm all the
> > time.
> > The only negative is crowding the status area - probably part of the
> > reason evolution-alarm-daemon doesn't notify you of its existance in the
> > status area. But your still not crowding it as much as an applet would
> > (it being the panel)
>
> Unfortunately, any alarm is going to need *some* presence in order to
> allow the user to interact with it.  Whether it's a notification icon or
> a one-button panel applet (like the applet that comes with Gtodo), it's
> still taking up space *somewhere* in the panel.  And if it didn't, how
> would you get access to it?

I think that a notification icon fits much more than an applet. An
alarm-clock is almost a program that stands for itself - it doesn't
live in the panel. A small icon can be easy to find when needed, open
a small menu which allows you to enable/disable the alarm, and to get
into it's Preferences window.

> Maybe the better approach is to forget about notification icons or
> applets and instead make an easy way to set up cron jobs.  Then you
> could tell it to launch an alarm program at 7:00 in the morning, and the
> alarm program plops a bell icon in the notification area, cranks up the
> volume, and has Rhythmbox start playing something nice and obnoxious.
> As an added bonus, now your alarm doesn't have to worry about scheduling
> itself at all; that's one less process you need to keep running.
>
> Does GNOME have anything that lets you schedule things to run at a
> certain time?  Surely something like that would have more uses than
> making Rhythmbox into an alarm clock.

As far as I can remember, gnome-system-tools has a nice GUI for cron.

Yo'av Moshe.