Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for flash based mp3 players

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 22:28 +0100, Marc O'Morain wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just something to note:
>
> If you imlement this so that the user can take music from a flash
> based MP3 player and add it to the library, you will want to make sure
> that a higher quality version of the track is not in the library
> already.
>
> ie: I have a FLAC file on my PC, I put the file onto my flash player
> with Rhythmbox, which transcodes it to MP3. Later in the day I plug
> the flash player into the PC, I do not want Rhythmbox to copy the MP3
> to my library.

Very valid point. I had considered comparing the first half of the
filename, however that would only work when that convention was
maintained. I for one have two versions of the same song, with the same
filename in different formats.

Suggestions for how i could identify the same song with confidence?

-nick