Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] music as desktop service

>> > Ok, so...why is it you feel that way?
>>
>> To answer your second mail, I haven't tried the patch yet. What annoys
>> me with hiding the window instead of closing it is that you then have to
>> remember how each app behave when you click the close button
>
> I think the way to think of Rhythmbox after this patch is that it's no
> longer an application; it's simply a part of your desktop, like eggcups
> or NetworkManager.  I don't think of the eggcups or NetworkManager icons
> as applications; when I click on their icons I just do some short
> interaction with the menu, then close it.  Just think of the Rhythmbox
> main window as a big menu.

I think that azureus is a fairly good example of an application that lives
primarily as an icon. Taking a cue from that perhaps there could be a
compromise where the close button still quits normally but the minimize
button sends it back to the icon instead of the window list. This always
seemed the most sensible way to do things since having the notification
icon pretty much made having the window traditionally minimized an
extraneous function.

However the problem with making the application focused more on a
notification icon is that that entire area is already conflicted in its
role as an application dock versus a notification area. Maybe it's best to
wait untill the notification area is more developed in how it handles the
two before starting a shift towards that structure.