Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

G'day everyone,

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:20 +0000, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> http://php.internet.is/gleipnir/Jukebox.png

>  1) Source list is a menu item.
>  2) Area vacated by Source list becomes a Jukebox/Queue display,
>     containing a scrolling, chronological list of past and future
>     songs.  The list of future songs is automatically kept full,
>     taking into account shuffle/no-shuffle settings.  User can
>     influence future songs via drag-and-drop -- by re-ordering,
>     removing and adding songs.

I can see two problems with this:

1) Playlists :- how are you supposed to add things to a playlist
(instead of drag-and-drop)?

2) You only have the name of the song there, and I've got quite a few
songs that have the same name (and different artists). On my setup the
Title and Artist columns take up about 45-50% of the width of the
columns in the library.

From discussion so far (including ones a while back), and I'd say that
most people agree on most of the features of the play queue (or whatever
you want to call it). The only things that I've seen big disagreement on
is the location of the UI. The two best ideas I've seen are the "like
the browser" one (how it's currently being implemented), whether at the
bottom, or at the top; or the "as a source" one.

Points for the Browser-esque one: More obvious and probably easier for
beginners to use; having it symmetric to the browser is nice
aesthetically.

Points for Source one: Doesn't take up extra screen real estate; and it
is virtually a playlist (and probably implemented as a special kind of
one) so putting it in the same place seems logical.

I think the best thing to do is get one done (thanks to Peter for the
bounty - we'll probably see it soon) and soon after someone will
probably "port" it to the other place. This would give is a good chance
to compare them by actually using them and seeing which is better. There
are still going to be arguments, but at least we'll actually be able to
use them and see whether some of our arguments makes sense.

Best of luck to Jonathan.

James "Doc" Livingston
--
[Re: "Da Bomb" hot sauce] This stuff will not only take the paint off a
battleship, it'll also hunt down the painter and hir family, murder