[Rhythmbox-devel] Why I'll Probably Always Use amaroK

Hello.

First off, this is not intended to offend any of the great people working on Rhythmbox, this is simply why I have always used and will probably always use amaroK instead of Rhythmbox.

1) (Most Important) amaroK is a very attractive program. They have good digital artists and a photographer working for them, if you check out the website, you'll see what I mean. Also, amaroK does cover images from amazon.com, and it displays them often, making the program look quite nice. Notice also, that it has pleasant and non-offensive pop-ups telling you of what song is playing, with cool rounded off edges (which I suppose aren't that important, because square edges could be cool too). There are many pieces of amaroK which have an artistic touch to them, right down to how the side tabs fade in and out when you hover over them. Pretty much, there is a lot of nice stuff to look at in amaroK, including visualizations that are nice and up front by default. Face it, although flashy stuff may not be the most functional, it's certainly important to a lot of users (like me), is being more and more incorporated into the desktop, and is very important for music players (considering the fact that most of the big ones are quite attractive: Windows Media Player 10 is a feat of art (although it sucks for usability, I think, and I don't like the feel), Apple's iTunes does a lot of nice sliding and animation, and is very usable, although not very compact, and Amarok has it's own style, as described above a bit. Rythmbox, although very usable, isn't nice to look at. You may ask how often I see a music player? Well, a lot, actually. I change songs often and the pop-ups from amaroK with the album cover make an impression.

2) Although Rythmbox is easy to use and quite complete with features, it does something very smart: it doesn't show them all when they won't be needed... amaroK does, and that really shows how powerful it is. Maybe a fault, maybe a bonus. Example: music devices. On amaroK there is always a tab for it, on Rhythmbox, it shows up when needed. The interface is so nice and clean that it looks like the program isn't done. I know this is finicky, but that's my impression.

Aside from that, Rhythmbox is great. It's faster than anything and it works really well. I think that with a bit of flashyness and without the 14 mile track bar for where in the song you are, it would be absolutely great. Good work, I hope that it'll keep it's good stuff while picking up the other good stuff of other players.