Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] play queue

On 10/16/06, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin wh9 net> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:31:03PM +0300, Dmitry Golubev wrote:
> > With these options, it behaves exactly like a playlist.  I don't really
> > see the point of adding them.  What does this allow you to do that you
> > previously couldn't?
>
> Then what is the point of having play queue at all? what is its purpose? my
> understanding, which may be incorrect, is that play queue is one-time play
> list, something one creates for the current mood and will most likely not
> want to use next time. it may be cleared with one click, and songs are
> enqueued easily (one click without going to submenus).

Playlists can be deleted just as easily as the play queue can be
cleared.  Creating a new playlist isn't very hard either.  Or, if you
really want to remove all the songs without deleting the playlist,
ctrl-a ctrl-x (select all, then cut).

There's no reason you can't use a playlist for the 'one-time playlist'
concept you keep talking about, and the only advantage you've mentioned
for using the play queue in this way is that it takes fewer mouse
clicks.

Except that adding songs to the play queue is incredibly easy.  My use
case for RB is that I sit down with my fairly large library and want
to play a varied assortment of music, hardly ever the same playlist
from day to day.  I've bound Ctrl+T to "Add to Play Queue" so I select
a song/album and hit Ctrl+T.  Lather. Rinse. Repeat as necessary
(usually a lot).

Adding songs to a playlist is not even nearly as simple.  That's why
using Banshee, at least for me, is incredibly more awkward.

Cheers,
Andrew