Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhytymbox 0.10.0 "The City Above"

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 08:55 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:04:40AM +0200, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
> > > On behalf of the Rhythmbox developers, I'm happy to announce the
> > > first[0] release in our new stable series is out. Rhythmbox 0.10.0 "The
> > > City Above" has no additional features over 0.9.8, only bug fixes and
> > > updated translations, so we suggest that everyone using 0.9.8 upgrade to
> > > 0.10.0.
> >
> > Does this mean that, Rhythmbox can/will(?) make it into Gnome?
>
> Not that we've talked about it, but I don't believe this is the goal.
> What does Rhythmbox stand to gain from inclusion in the GNOME desktop suite?
> What does GNOME stand to gain, aside from a heap of "why not
> banshee/muine/quod libet/exaile?" arguments?

Simple: mindshare.

People don't ask "Why not gxine, sinek, gmplayer" anymore, nor do they
think that starting yet another GNOME-based movie player is a good idea
(when Totem was started, there were at least 3 or 4 gtk+ based movie
players, they came and disappeared, for the most part).

It also makes it easier to synchronise release cycles and features
between the (clearly sharing more and more code) media centred apps in
the GNOME desktop.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>