Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Playing to USB headset

Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 12:48 -0500, Andy Howell wrote:
Hello,

	How can I get Rhythmbox to play to a USB headset?

I'm running version 0.11.6 on fedora 9. I can configure gsteamer via the "Multimedia Systems Selector" to set the default output to "ALSA", device "USB Audio" and the "test" tone is heard in the headset. However, Rhythmbox always plays through the speakers.

Reset the defaults in gstreamer-properties, and select the output in the
sound preferences (gnome-sound-properties).

Bastien,

	I'm not sure what to set the defaults to in gstreamer-properties. I set
"Default Output: Plugin:" to PulseAudio Sound Server"

When I run gnome-sound-properties and on the "Devices" tab, set the
"Music and Movies" sound playback: USB Audio and hit the test button, I get:

sound-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'audiotestsrc wave=sine
freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=music':
Could not open audio device for playback. [gstalsasink.c(697):
gst_alsasink_open (): /bin0/halaudiosink0/bin1/alsasink0:
Playback open error on device 'default:1': Invalid argument]

If I select the PulseAudio Sound Server for the "Music and Movies", then
I get a test tone to the speakers, even though the pavucontrol has "ALSA
PCM on front: 1 (USB Audio) via DMA" as the default output.

I tried the PulseAudio Sound Server as well, but even the test tone on that plays through the speakers.

When using pulse, just launch pavucontrol (the PulseAudio Volume
Control, in Sound & Video), right-click on the Rhythmbox stream in the
second tab, and select which device you want it to output to.

When I do that with the USB device, I get a Rhymthbox dialogue saying it
failed to open the device.

Any clues on how make this work?

Cheers

Thanks for your help,