Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature request; close to tray

You should only need to do the right-click->show music player action
once (to set the preference), and after that all you need to do is
click on the tray icon to show/hide the main window, just as you said.
 If yours doesn't work this way, then that's weird... what
distro/desktop environment/rhythmbox version are you using?

I think the reason iTunes behaves that way is because that's how all
(or most) programs on mac os work - clicking on the "x" just closes
the window and leaves the application running.  I'm not sure how many
other music programs behave this way, but I haven't run into any
(although I'll admit I really only use rhythmbox).