[Rhythmbox-devel] Some questions about setting up the development environment for rhythmbox...

Hi,
I want to setup my own development environment for rhythmbox. However I am facing a problem because my gnome installation does not have the needed version of libgtk and libglib.I am using Intrepid Ibex and the libraries are a bit old even after I installed the dev version of the libraries as mentioned in the rhythmbox dependency page.

I have never contributed to any open source project before, so the below questions might be a bit stupid. But would be grateful to you if you answer them nonetheless :-)

a) If the official ubuntu repositories do not support the libraries that are needed for rhythmbox, then what is the solution? Should we download the latest libraries ourselves, compile them and then make them available to rhythmbox ?

b) How does the official maintainer stay on the 'tip' of the code base? Does he have his own 'sandbox' with the bleeding edge versions of all the dependencies, all built from scratch? Is that way everyone who contributes patches to rhythmbox maintains their development environment for rhythmbox ?

I need the answers to the above questions because unless I have a working development environment, I can't start contributing to rhythmbox.

Looking forward to your response.

regards,
Seemanta