Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] No MusicBrainz auto fill of album information

Hi Tracy,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Tracy L. Cann <TracyLCann zoomtown com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> MusicBrainz is not automatically filling in the album information when I
> put in a new CD. This has happened with the last four albums I've
> inserted. These are common albums, not obscure albums, like Pearl Jam's
> Ten and AC/DC's High Voltage.

MusicBrainz recently shut down an older version of their web service,
so applications using that service no longer work. Rhythmbox can use
the newer web service, but whether the version you're using actually
does is up to your distribution (or whoever built it for you).

> I am typing in the album information which is a pain in the ass and
> hitting the "Submit Album" button which opens the MusicBrainz website
> and displays the album information. Then there is a note about joining
> MusicBrainz to submit information. This requires creating an account and
> giving a valid e-mail address. I suspect they are simply collecting
> e-mail addresses so they can sell them or send spam.

This is quite a rude accusation to make of someone whose free services
you hope to use.