Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] A question about interfacing with an iphone

Hi Eddie,

It doesn't look like this is possible. Itunes doesn't even run on Linux under Wine [0] or Crossover Office [1], and there isn't a way for Rhythmbox or any other media player to interface with iTunes in the way you've requested.

If you really want to stick with your iPhone and also stick with Linux, your best bet would be to run an instance of Windows in a virtual machine (such as virtualbox), and install iTunes in Windows. That, or you could try activating your iPhone on a friend's computer, and then just updating it from your friend's computer every now and then.

The iPhone is a proprietary device, though, and employees at Apple work hard to keep it locked down so that it only works with Apple software. With that, unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

Jim

[0] http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1347
[1] http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7981