Re: [Usability] Gnome Wallpaper Properties

On Mar , 2003-12-09 at 11:53, Calum Benson wrote:
> - Again according to the GDSG, this is a "Preferences" window, not a
> "Properties" window.

I've fixed this.

> - A simple schematic icon beside each item on the Style option menu
> showing what 'tile', 'center', 'fill' and 'scale' mean could be useful.
> Although it's instant apply, it could still help an unsure user to pick
> the right option first time, rather than having to try each option in
> turn.  It would perhaps also allow you to remove the "on/to Screen"
> wording from every menu item, which I think is a bit repetitive and
> distracting.

Jakub has added icons for these to gnome-icon-theme, and I have added
the necessary code to use them from the theme, and changed the text of
the menu items to not show "on/to Screen" on all of them. The only one
that still says "Screen" anywhere, is fill, as it is filling the screen.

> - I'd maybe be more inclined to put the "Add" and "Remove" buttons down
> the right-hand side of the list, to separate them from the "Style"
> controls and for consistency with the Theme Preferences dialog.

It's not worth it. It ends up making the list have horizontal scroll,
unless the dialog is made considerably wider, which then makes it look
off balance. It also doesn't create any less dead space area, and in
fact ends up creating more in the "Remove" button, since the 2 buttons
end up being the same width. It just moves the dead space from inside
the list, to outside.

If there are no more concerns aside from the "Wallpaper" vs. "Desktop
Background" issue, I'd like to commit this to control-center HEAD
sometime today. Thanks.

-- dobey