Re: BSD license vs. Evolution assigment (was Re: Copyright assignment)

On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 19:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Your BS filter is broken. It means: Your code will always be released under
> the GPL or another Debian-endorsed Free license, AS WELL AS (!!!) any other
> license we choose to.
>
> What, precisely, is wrong with that?

His BS filter seems to be working just fine.  If you assign the code to
Novell they are entitled to sell it to Microsoft and keep all the money.
Thats what it says.

Oh you'll also get to have your own copy under a free license (but you
won't be able to put your copy under a proprietary license any more).

It also allows Novell to steal all your code although I don't think
anyone is too worried about that one. All they have to do is give
themselves a proprietary license, have someone assert a patent claim and
deny you the right to use your own free code. Then sell it to Microsoft
and keep the money.

A copyright assignment can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

Alan