offtopic/devel: Interfaces [was Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup]

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:26:03PM +0000, Carlos Morgado was heard to remark:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:25:48, Danilo ??egan wrote:
>
> >I disagree slightly here.  Not including Evolution (which means
> >evolution-data-server as well) into core desktop will have
> >significant consequences for Gnome itself (not Evolution): Gnome
> >platform will be unable to offer such functionality like panel applets
> >to search through your contacts/calendar, etc.  In short, we lose the
> >chance to *integrate* well.
>
> I don't see the issue. If Novell wants to add that functionality to Evo
> excelent, otherwise GNOME doesn't need to pretend Evo is the only MUA/PIM
> ever had/has/will have.
> In fact, considering the problem at hand, making GNOME Desktop depend on
> Evo  is a liability.

I agree, I would very much like to a fairly generic set of
mail-related API's defined so that desktop apps can interact
with any 'sufficiently advanced' email client, not just Evo.

But this discussion is for a different mailing list.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>