How to keep the panel raised.

Greetings.

  This might seam a stupid question, but I would like my panel
  to remain always showing above (in front of) the other windows
  on my desktop.

  In the control-center, Desktop/Panel/Miscellaneous panel,
  I have set on the "Raise panels on mouse-over", but nothing
  happens when I move my mouse over the panel.  I cannot find
  any other option to enable such a feature.

  Is there any option to keep the panel raised?  I am using
  the latest Ximian gnome software and Red Hat 6.2.

Sincerely,
Hans Deragon