Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

You'll run into similar problems if you use, say , apt with debian, or on
Conectiva/Mandrake Cooker.

Your RPM system is broken.  It's sorta like in Windows, intalling a program
with InstallShield then deleting the programs directory - it's not very
easy to 'uninstall' the program (even if that just means removing it from
the Installed Programs menu).

Your RPM database honestly is broken.  It may not be your fault - it is
most likely the packager's fault for supplying broken/buggy RPMs (you'll
see this issue arise if you try to update a Mandrake system to the latest
Mandrake Cooker with apt-rpm - since before apt wasn't used, Mandrake
didn't catch a lot of RPM packaging bugs).

If you resolve these dependencies, Red Carpet will work.  Otherwise, your
system is broken, as far as the RPM database is concerned.  This isn't Red
Carpets fault anymore than it is apt's.  Install the missing dependencies
(the exact command for finding such missing/incorrect dependencies escape
me at the moment), or set the pseudo-install RPM's.

Which distro are you using?  I'd report the errors to your distro maker
(although almost all of them will most likely be testing themselves with
Red Carpet soon), and the packagers of any RPMs that Red Carpet is giving
you problems with.

I will agree that Red Carpet should allow one to continue an install
*without* trying to fix the broken dependencies.

Otherwise, no advanced updater will work, no matter what, until distro's
start building valid RPMs.  Nothing you can do about it but fix what you
can and hack around the rest of it.

If you need any help getting your RPM database fixed, let me know.  I had
to play with my system quite a bit to get the RPM errors fixed for apt-rpm
and Mandrake Cooker.  ^,^