Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:48:49 Mike Messmore wrote:

> realize that a) you need to learn how RPM works and work with it to
> convince it that you're machine is OK (at least to you) or b) don't

My machine is already OK to me, just not to Red Carpet... that is the issue at
hand.

There are a lot of RPMs out there made by people other than Ximian or RedHat
or whoever, which, because of the inexperience of the packager, may have
faulty dependencies.  This fact will make Red Carpet, in it's current
incarnation, want to remove the "offending" RPMs, even if the user doesn't
want them removed. It's not just about tarballs.

This is an important issue that needs to be addressed before Red Carpet wreaks
havoc on unsuspecting users.

If you would rather not read through this gnome-related thread, either add it
to your killfile or unsubscribe. I will not stop just because you don't like
it. Open discussion of this problem may prevent a less experienced Linux user
from inadvertently causing damage to his or her system.

--
Renze